Skip to main content

Full text of "Venice Beach Business Improvement District Miscellaneous Emails and Records from CD11"

See other formats

8/4/2016

City of Los Angeles Mail - thanks and follow up

Debbie DynerHarris <debbie.dynerharris@lacity.org>

thanks and follow up

5 messages

Becky Dennison Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 5:39 PM

To: "debbie.dynerharris@lacity.org" <debbie.dynerharris@lacity.org>

Cc: Marie Kennedy , Sylvia Aroth , Linda Lucks

Debbie,

Thanks for taking the time to meet with us yesterday to hear our concerns and opposition to the Venice Beach BID, both
in principle and in this specific context. You asked specifically what we'd like to see now.

Overall, we’d like the Councilmember to reconsider his support for the BID or, at the very least, remove the City property
and funds from the approved BID area.

Understanding from our conversation that isn’t likely, at a minimum we’d like to see the BID member vote and Council
approval vote delayed until:

1. There is reconsideration of the amount of public land and funds included in this BID, or alternate mechanism(s)
proposed for public control over the public funds in the BID

2. There is reconsideration/revision of the management plan that includes a larger and more diverse set of voices,
including removal of or minimizing expenditures on private security

3. There is a mechanism(s) included for those that are not commercial property owners to have a voting interest in
the BID

4. Outreach and education is done among BID stakeholders and other impacted community stakeholders

We also have a couple of follow up questions. First, we would like to know who the officers and/or staff of the Venice
Beach Property Owners Association are, as they were approved as the BID entity in the council action and the only
information online is that they recently incorporated and their agent for service is Steve Heumann. Second, we’d like to
know the justification for including the strip of Venice Blvd between Pacific and Abbot Kinney in the BID as there are no
businesses located there, it doesn’t align with the rest of the map, and has the appearance of being included solely as
an opportunity to include more City-owned land and assessments. Any information you have on either of these
questions would be appreciated.

We are happy to respond to any follow up questions about the reasons for our serious concerns about the impact the
BID will have on decreasing public control of public land and funds, accelerating gentrification, changing the culture and
character of the Boardwalk and Venice overall, and increasing civil rights violations against homeless residents.

As clarification, there are many community partners and other stakeholders opposed to the BID, and we are only
speaking for VCH in this email.

Thanks again,

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=682aa2ce4f&view=pt&cat=Venice%2FBID&search=cat&th=155c7f257b5a30ea&siml=155c7f257b5a30ea&siml=155e... 1/4

8/4/2016

City of Los Angeles Mail - thanks and follow up

Becky

Becky Dennison

Executive Director

Venice Community Housing (VCH)

720 Rose Avenue

Venice, CA 90291-2710

(310) 399-4100,

FAX: (310) 399-1130

Community

Housing

VCH helps low-income people stabilize their lives through non-profit affordable housing and comprehensive skills training

Debbie DynerHarris <debbie.dynerharris@lacity.org> Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 1:44 PM

To: Becky Dennison

Cc: Marie Kennedy Sylvia Aroth , Linda Lucks

Hello Becky. Thanks for the email. I will certainly communicate VCH's desire to reconsider his support of the BID, or
remove City property and funds, but as you suggest, it is unlikely for him to do either of those things. I also believe that it is
too late at this point to do either. I also don't see him stepping to delay a vote, but I will also make sure he hears that
request and the others you include as well.

As I understand it, the people who organized as the "Venice Beach Property Owners Association" only did so for the
purposes of forming the non-profit as required for this process.

As I said in our meeting, there is no actual board at this time. The eventual board of directors will vote and decide on who
the office holders are, and the board can also vote to change the officers of the corporation as well.

In terms of what properties were included in the BID, I would recommend you speak with Tara Devine, who was hired by
the property owners to shepherd this process through the Clerk's office. She can discuss their reasonsing behind the BID
boundaries. She can be reached at tara@devine-strategies.com.

Thanks,

Debbie

[Quoted text hidden]

Debbie Dyner Harris
District Director

https ://m ai I .google.com/mai l/u/0/?ui=2&i k=682aa2ce4f&view= pt&cat= Venice%2FBID&search=cat&th= 1 55c7f257b5a30ea&si m 1= 1 55c7f257b5a30ea&si ml- 1 55e. . . 2/4

8/4/2016

City of Los Angeles Mail - thanks and follow up

Councilmember Mike Bonin

City of Los Angeles

310-575-8461 | www.l lthdistrict.com

Sign Up for Mike’s
Email Updates

Download the City of Los Angeles MyLA311 app for smartphones!

ANOROlO Ai>p ON 1 Download on th*

^ Google play I m AppStore

Myl_A311 links Angelenos with the services and information they need to enjoy their city, beautify their community and stay connected with their
local government. With MyLA311 , City of Los Angeles information and services are just a few taps away.

Becky Dennison Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 9:48 AM

To: Debbie DynerHarris <debbie.dyneitiarris@lacity.org>

Cc: Marie Kennedy Sylvia Aroth , Linda Lucks

Thanks Debbie. We are disappointed to hear that nothing will be done in response to our concerns.

That said, there has to be a Board of Directors in order for a non-profit to incorporate - they sign the incorporation
papers. So there is a Board for the Property Owner's Association and I think it's reasonable for the public to know

who they are prior to the Council vote on August 23 rd , since the organization and its current Board will be given initial
authority over the BID and its resources. We'd still like to know that information.

Talk soon.

can i provide her this information? i presume so but not sure if the three board members are okay with that?

[Quoted text hidden]

Debbie DynerHarris <debbie.dynerharris@lacity.org> Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 4:39 PM

To: Becky Dennison

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=682aa2ce4f&view=pt&cat=Venice%2FBID&search=cat&th=155c7f257b5a30ea&siml=155c7f257b5a30ea&siml=155e... 3/4

8/4/2016 City of Los Angeles Mail - thanks and follow up

Cc: Marie Kennedy Sylvia Aroth Linda Lucks

I believe that the board will be formally elected if the BID is officially approved and formed. Again, I urge you to reach out
to Tara Devine with detailed questions as I am not going to be your best source of information.

Debbie

[Quoted text hidden]

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=682aa2ce4f&view=pt&cat=Venice%2FBID&search=cat&th-155c7f257b5a30ea&siml-155c7f257b5a30ea&siml-155e... 4/4